This workshop is a part of our Web Dev Track, although it may be taken separately.
COMPLETE BEGINNERS WELCOME!
- Installation & Understanding npm
- What is and why Node.js
- Installation and configuration for Windows and Mac machines
- What is NPM (dependency management, package.json, etc.)
- Project introduction
- Demo of final project
- Outline of session
- Building a node server with Express
- What is and why Express
- Build and run a server with Express
- Adding npm commands to package.json
- Understanding GET / POST requests from an API
- Understanding environment variables, endpoints and responses
- Introduce Express.Router object (for get/post)
- Creating our own GET / POST routes and testing using Postman
- Download and install Postman
- GUI walkthrough and demo with JSONPlaceholder
- Using GitHub for version control
- What is and why GIT and GitHub
- Download project repo from GitHub
- Connecting to a database (MongoDB)
- What is and why MongoDB
- Optional: installing Robo 3T (a MongoBD GUI)
- Nested collections and relational MongoDB databases
- Database schemas using Mongoose
- What is and why Mongoose
- Using Mongoose schemas, models, and operations
- Deploying to Heroku
- What is Heroku
- Heroku account setup
- Heroku add-ons
- Deploying app with Git
- Connecting to remote MongoDB
- mLab Mongo DB for Heroku (login credentials, uploading collections, etc.)
- Installation & Understanding npm
This class will be 9 hours spread over 3 evenings on Tuesday October 24th, Wednesday October 25th & Thursday October 26th 2017 from 6:30pm-9:30pm. This class is the fourth sequence in our Web Development Track series.
If you really want to build your own web or mobile app, you need to have a strong backend, and since Node JS is fastly becoming the most popular in-demand server side language in the world, this course will get you on track to learning what you need to know to build modern fast full stack apps.
You’ll learn the practical fundamentals to build your own backend server, connect it to an online database, and deploy it to the cloud for the world to see. This course will give you a strong base to continue on your learning journey to build your own apps for the web and mobile.
Yes, you will receive an AstroLabs KHDA (Dubai Government) certification for successfully completing this workshop.
Danial Entezari-Technology Director at HuephaseDanial Entezari is Technology Director at Huephase, a digital agency catering to the mobile web. He is passionately committed to working with innovative web and cloud-based technologies.Danial was previously Digital Development Lead at Face to Face UAE, the Middle East’s largest and most established independently owned communications agency, where he worked on projects for some of the biggest international and regional brands.
Ahmad Abugosh – Learning & Development Manager at AstroLabs
Ahmad built his first website at 10 years old. Since then he has studied Computer Engineering at the American University of Sharjah, worked at companies like MBC and Namshi, and has built dozens of websites in his career, including the AstroLabs website: http://astrolabs.com
He has a real passion for teaching and wants to help everyone build their own website!
Willingness to learn and have a good time! All levels of experience (including complete beginners) are welcome!
Something to take notes on and your laptop to immerse yourself in the practical sessions.
You can pay by Paypal, Bank Transfer (Invoice) or Cash / Credit Card on the day of the event.
In order to encourage learning we do offer additional discounts in certain cases (for partner organizations, students and those that cannot afford the ticket amount). To see if you qualify for a discount, please reach out to us at: email@example.com
If you decide you can’t make it for whatever reason, we will fully refund your ticket up to 48 hours before the workshop.
If you take the workshop and think it did not live up to the description, we will issue you a full refund.
For any other questions related to this course, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org